Monday, February 28, 2005

Project Runway Crafts?

I watched the last episode of Project Runway last night. It was really good. Jay WON! He was ABFAB! I think the Judges picked him because of his originality. He hired knitters to produce a poncho and scarves. He hand dyed leather and used it to make a quilted coat. I never thought I'd see a quilted garment on a fashion runway in New York. He has a great fondness and respect for quilting. He says that his sister is a quilter. Each ensemble was one shade in the spectrum of a rainbow. All of his models walked the runway in color order. Each outfit reminded me of Kureyon. As if Kureyon was striped in a rainbow, fading in spectrum order. I think Jay waited until the final show to reveal his true capabilities. I will keep an eye on him. I can't wait to see more of his craft inspired designs.
Kara's collection was her usual brilliant self. Her designs were inspired by the determined, driven nature of Howard Hughes. She saw the recent movie about him. I think she lost the competition because Michael Kors thought the metal hardware on her designs resembled Gucci. I was thinking Channel myself. But anyway, you know what they say about the losers of these reality shows. That they often become the most successful. Her designs were more marketable and desireable than Jay's, but his collection seemed most likely to start a new trend.

No comments:

I cast this piece years ago. It was done in a casting class, using cuttlefish bone. I'm just now doing something with it. It will be a p...