Wednesday, February 09, 2005

How to Knit Socks

Now I want to knit socks. Knitting socks didn't interest me until I tried to decide what to knit a friend for his birthday. I want to give him something personal and endearing so it will make him cry in front of our coworkers. I am evil. But anyway, I thought about a tie. Then again he only wears ties at funerals so I will knit socks instead. Since he shops carefully for his own socks, he will love a handmade pair! He's fond of the thick cotton, ribbed hiking type of socks. Now I need to learn how to knit a pair of socks. I don't have time to learn it from a book and my video doesn't cover it. I thought about attending a sock workshop at Jessica's but she doesn't have one scheduled anytime soon. I need another video or DVD so I Googled. I haven't found any sock videos or DVD's yet, but I found this website. It will open in another window. KnittingHelp.Com It's fabulous! It has video instruction clips on techniques that I've never heard of. I can't wait to go home and watch more of them. Until then I'll shop for sock yarn and a pattern. I can at least handle the tube part for now.

1 comment:

Creative Genius? said...

Just a thought - but Becky has a wonderful sock pattern that I learned from... I also used size 8 double pointed needles (although the pattern called for size 6 when I swatched I needed to go up two sizes)... I also used cheap Wool-Ese for the socks - I LOVE THEM! I can't wear them with shoes (too bulky) but they are great for "house socks" - just don't run on tile... it creates nasty spills....

I cast this piece years ago. It was done in a casting class, using cuttlefish bone. I'm just now doing something with it. It will be a p...