Wednesday, February 09, 2005

How to

How I Learned to Knit

My Learning to knit process became a quest. First, I had to find a learning resource and then use it to learn knitting. Whenever I need information that I can absorb in a relaxed enviroment, I get the book. I searched the public library catalog system for knitting books. None of them were beginner basics. Shannon told me to get a copy of Stitch N' Bitch. I was delighted with the book, but it's difficult to learn from a book. Shannon helped me with casting on and garter stitch. I also became a member of the Phoenix Stitch N' Bitch group. I got help there. Learning was frustrating and I began to lose momentum then stopped knitting. Sometime later, while planning to be homebound for a several weeks, I decided to try again. I went back to the library and found Bobbie Groome's knitting video. I loved it. It was a great help. I Kept the video for a long time. I kept it so long that the library figured I had lost the video or bought it. My knitting was going great because of the video. So, I returned it and looked for a copy of my own to buy. I found one E-retailer that was selling the video for sixty bucks. I wasn't prepared to pay that kind of money.
So I kept searching until I found a video on E-bay for 9.99. The seller's page listed the features, but didn't add any photo previews. I wasn't concerned. I just wanted the video. I lost two auctions before I won myself a copy. My knitting skills made a huge light year leap to intermediate. Learning from the video made it easier for me to read instructions in books. I highly recommend using an instruction video to began knitting then keeping it as a reference.
How to knit socks?..................

No comments:

I cast this piece years ago. It was done in a casting class, using cuttlefish bone. I'm just now doing something with it. It will be a p...