Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Rare Knitting Book?

Mosaic Knitting
By Barbara G. Walker
Could this be the most expensive knitting book currently for sale? While searching the internet for book written by Barbara G. Walker, I came accross a copy of Mosaic Knitting on E-bay. Part of the money gets donated to charity, so that may explain the $627 asking price. Biblio is selling a copy for a book store called Ventura Pacific Ltd. It's priced at $494 and it's a second addition reprint. Amazon sellers have copies available for about $150. I've only reviewed one of Barbara's books, A Fourth treasury of Knitting patterns, and I'm impressed. I about fell over when I saw a picture of a cabled tote knitted in the round. The instructional charts are written in plain, uncomplicated terms and are easy to follow. She also makes references to Elizabeth Zimmerman's style of knitting. After further internet searching I realized that all of Barbara's books are expensive and the prices are highly competative. It may be impossible to find any of her books at a discount price. I think they're worth every penny. I'd be willing to purchase her knitting book for $150. I've spent that much at one time buying yarn. I'll add it to my Amazon.com wishlist.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

If you go on abebooks.com and looks for books by jan messent, some of hers are in the $500 range. Very british and a little odd. but also neat, if you like sock yarn.

Anonymous said...

mosaic knitting is being republished by schoolhouse press in april....for $32, preordered gets free shipping...her books are wonderful reference works

I cast this piece years ago. It was done in a casting class, using cuttlefish bone. I'm just now doing something with it. It will be a p...