Saturday, November 08, 2008

The Reluctant Anti-Heroes

I've just finished the first four episodes of Showtimes comedy Californication. I know I'm late but you can't that stuff here in Abu Dhabi. I watched all of them straight through without a break. I had no Idea what to expect. Is it a coincidence that lately, I've been reading books with the same sort of character. May be it's somekind of Noir writing trend. I would compare Hank Moody to Death's Head, Sven Tveskoeg and Altered Carbon's, Takeshi Kovacs, but without guns. David Duchovny's Hank Moody has a lot in common with these guys, like the restless demons that try to pull you into the black or the complete disregard for scum who prey on the lesser. He's a real badass and the women love it. Forget about the fact that he hates himself and then self-medicates with boose, sex, and drugs. Somehow he manages to uphold some type of chivialric honor and express a bit of sensitivity. There're still lines he won't allow himself to cross. There must be some hope left for this self-loathing, violent, vomit stained mess of a carbon based unit. Now introducing your reluctant and unasuming anti-hero. It's entertaining like a car wreck. David Duchovny is believable even when he's muttering through his thin upper lip. Enjoy.

No comments:

I cast this piece years ago. It was done in a casting class, using cuttlefish bone. I'm just now doing something with it. It will be a p...